This section features my combat mission logs from 1945 and a few other WWII-related items.
- The Depth Perception Hurdle (1943-1944)
- B-29 Combat Mission Logs of Wm. C. Atkinson, Radar Navigator (1945)
- Allied POW Thank-You Letters after V-J Day (1945)
- 498th Bombardment Group Info (1944-1946)
20th Air Force, 73rd Wing, 498th Bombardment Group, 874th Squadron
Isley Field, Saipan, Marianas
(Logs are from notes taken at the time. Selected sophomoric and ungracious passages have been expunged. The writer was twenty in 1945.)
Reference: “The Twenty Niner: The Combat Story of the 498th Bombardment Group,” self-published 1946 by Capt. Michael J. Ogden.
Notes and pix of other 498th B-29 crews
If you are seeking (or have) information about lost 498th BG Vets go to this page.
More B-29 Links:
20th Air Force Association
The Wartime Memories Project
Three comprehensive B-29 pages with many, many links:
- Tom & Mary Mathewson: Several web sites dedicated to the B-29 have sprung up recently, ranging from comprehensive sites on all bombers to more focused sites on a specific point in B-29 history
- Vic Morris of the 873rd, Zweifel’s crew, POW story
Waddy’s Wagon: A moving video put together with some live footage of a B-29 mission to Truk atoll with the 497th Bombardment Group in 1944.